If I Give My Baby Up For Adoption, Who Names The Baby?

If I Give My Baby Up For Adoption, Who Names The Baby?

The answer will surprise most people. Both the birth mother AND adoptive parents name the baby, but not necessarily the same name. Sound confusing? It is not. After the baby is born, the person at the hospital in charge of birth records, usually the hospital registrar or birth certificate clerk, will ask the birth mother what she would like to name the baby. Some birth mothers talk with the prospective adoptive parents and name the baby what the adoptive parents have chosen, other birth mothers choose a name meaningful to them, and still, others leave the name blank. However, regardless of the name the birth mother chooses, the adoptive parents will name the baby, and the state department of health will issue a new post-adoption birth certificate as part of the adoption process, EVEN IF the birth mother and adoptive parents chose the name together. You might ask, why would the state department of health issue a new birth certificate if the birth mother and adoptive parents agree on the name. The answer is that the original birth certificate will list the birth mother’s name (and birth father’s name, if he signs a paternity affidavit at the hospital) as the child’s parent or parents. The post-adoption birth certificate will show the adoptive parents as parents of the child.

The four attorneys at Kirsh & Kirsh, P.C., have 90 years of combined experience practicing adoption law. If you have questions about putting your baby up for adoption, or more correctly, making an adoption plan for your baby, don’t hesitate to contact us. We have assisted numerous birth mothers with their adoption plans and will be more than happy to help you. Our contact information is below.  We will answer your questions and provide you the information you seek, without cost or obligation on your part. In other words, talking to us costs you nothing, nor does it mean you ever have to talk or text with us again. We can assist you with an Indiana adoption no matter whether you live in Warsaw or Vincennes, Scottsburg or Munster, Goshen or Bloomington, or any Indiana county or city in between.

We have lots of wonderful, carefully screened, loving families (married, single, Lesbian, and Gay) who cannot wait to welcome a baby into their hearts and homes and are happy to assist with living expenses to the full extent allowed by law.

You can call, text, and or email us anytime —call: 317-575-5555, text: 317-721-2030, email: AdoptionSupport@kirsh.com, or a Facebook message:  https://www.facebook.com/KirshandKirsh/. We answer our office phone 24 hours a day, every single day. We try to respond to emails and text messages within minutes of receipt.

POSITIVE ADOPTION LANGUAGE DISCLAIMER:  Please understand that these blog posts are written in a way to use language that people use when searching for help with their adoption plans.  Unfortunately, while all of us understand what positive adoption language means, most expectant moms that come to us at first do not understand what that means. The most common search term on the Internet for expectant moms is “how do I give up my baby for adoption.”  If we do not include those words in our blog posts and instead put “how do I create an adoption plan for my baby,” then our website will not show up in most expectant mom’s search results in Google.

Write a Comment