Termination Of Parental Rights

Termination Of Parental Rights

Taking the Right Steps to Adopt Your Child

In order to adopt your child, both of his or her biological parents must relinquish their parental rights. In some cases, you will need to ask the parent to voluntary relinquish his or her rights. In other cases, you will be able to move forward without the parent’s consent.

Termination of parental rights is a complicated legal issue. It is important to have a lawyer experienced in adoption law represent your interests as a prospective adoptive parent. At Kirsh & Kirsh, P.C., we have practiced adoption law for more than 30 years. We understand the nuances in the law and what needs to happen before you can take your child home.

Whether you are adopting a child with special needs, adopting a foster care child, adopting a newborn, or adopting your stepchild, you are beginning the road to a beautiful future. We want to help you down that path. Contact our Indiana adoption lawyers for a free consultation today.

Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights

A parent can consent to give up his or her rights to a child in an adoption situation. To do this, a parent must sign and file a Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights form. As adoption lawyers, we can help initiate this process.

When Can a Court Terminate Parental Rights Without Consent?

In some cases, consent is not necessary or proceedings can be started for involuntary termination of parental rights. These cases including situations where:

  • The parent is absent and cannot be found through a good faith effort
  • The noncustodial parent has abandoned the child for more than six months or failed to communicate with him or her for more than a year
  • The noncustodial parent has not paid child support for more than a year
  • The parent is unfit to parent the child because of imprisonment, drug abuse, child abuse, mental illness, etc.
  • The child has been under county supervision for at least 15 months

Contact Our Indiana Adoption Attorneys

To speak with our Indiana adoption lawyers in a free consultation, please contact our law firm online or call 317-575-5555.

Please contact Kirsh & Kirsh, and we will send prospective birth mothers and prospective adoptive parents information about the adoption practice of attorneys Steve and Joel Kirsh.

– See more at: https://www.indianaadoption.com/For-Adoptive-Parents/Termination-Of-Parental-Rights.shtml#sthash.wlnzbznq.dpuf

Write a Comment