First off, thank you for your interest in our adoption practice. Adoption is the only area of law we practice. We have participated in over 10,000 adoption (of all types) over the past 34 years. Annually, we assist in about 100 infant/newborn adoptions.
We offer a free, in-office, consultation to prospective adoptive parents.
Here are some next steps to get you started on your adoption journey, as well as learn how all Kirsh & Kirsh clients, who stick with it, become successful in their pursuit to adopt.
1. READ: Reviewed the Online Brochure and Estimated List of Expenses.
2. READ: For most families, the Federal Government assists with nearly $13,000 of adoption expenses in the form of a tax refund. You will need to speak with your tax accountant to understand the details of the program. However, in general terms, families earning less than $197,800 a year (adjusted gross income) in 2014 will get a tax refund equal to their adoption expenses up to $13,190. Another requirement of the credit is that the family has paid net Federal income taxes equal to, or greater than, the amount of the refund being requested. The Adoption Tax Credit has been extended and made permanent as part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2013.
4. WATCH: Watch our 90-minute Adoption Information Video either at our office or from the comfort of your own home. Our video is a very effective way to answer many of the most commonly asked questions about adoption. The video also provides a basic understanding of how we may help you become successful in adopting through our adoption law practice. The video addresses, in some detail, adopting through our office, including the costs, the procedures, the risks, and how to find a baby to adopt. If you choose to work with us, it is mandatory that you watch the video, even if you have previously adopted elsewhere. Our goal of requiring potential clients to watch this video is to provide you as much information as possible, so that you can make a well-informed decision about what could possibly be one of the most important decisions of your life. If you watch the video at our office there is no charge to do so and your meeting with one of our attorneys will follow right at you finish the video. Alternatively, many prospective clients have told us that they prefer to watch the video before coming to our office. Doing so gives them a chance to reflect on what they have learned in the video and better gather their thoughts and questions prior to sitting down with one of our attorneys. Whether you want to watch the video at our office (Option 1) or watch the video at home (Options 2 or 3) please click the appropriate option below:
Option 1: Watch video at our office at no cost (This link will take you to our preliminary information form and will also allow you to choose a date and time to come to our office to watch the video and meet with one of our adoption attorneys)
In watching the video on your own time, you can view the video in the comfort of your home and then meet us in person or via a conference or Skype call. These fees are non-refundable and not applied to any future fees or expenses. Watching the DVD is that important! If we decide to work together in your pursuit of adoption we will assume that you have a basic understanding of the matters contained on the video, including, but not limited to, Indiana laws and procedures, birth mother expenses, and our billing procedures. In fact, if you choose to watch the DVD at home, we will ask you to sign a certification that you have watched the DVD, when you come for your initial appointment.
5. SCHEDULE: After you watch the entire video schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys to answer any questions you may have by filling out this form. Your meeting may take place either at our office, via phone call or Skype call.
6. MEET: In this meeting we will also provide you with additional information about how to successfully adopt a child.
7. DECIDE: After meeting with us, you will be in a much more informed position in order to decide for yourself whether working with us is the approach that you would like to take. We also invite you to Google “Kirsh & Kirsh Online Reviews” to see what people around the web have to say about us. You may also like to read some of our posts & tweets to find out more about our adoption law practice’s clients and culture.
By the way, when calling our office, please use (317) 575-5555. We try to keep our “800” line open for birth mothers who may be calling.